Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Review: Bohemian Paris: Picasso, Modigliani, Matisse, And The Birth Of Modern Art, by Dan Franck



Dan Franck
1998
Translated from French to English in 2001 by Cynthia Hope Liebow


The artists in this book would not call this a “modernist” painting of their home.
The would call it crap.


Alexandrine Couplet about the Book Bohemian Paris 
Stumbling and drinking - artists wander Paris
creating some great art - and also some bad art.


After realizing we had shockingly similar art interests, a girl I was madly in love with at the time gave me her copy of this book.  I started reading it because I wanted to get laid needed a new book that day.  I finished it because it’s honestly the best non-fic book about art I’ve ever read.  I’ve made a habit of recommending it to others, and am currently reading it for the 2nd time.  It’s about the painters in Paris between 1900 and 1950 or so, mostly foreigners (Picasso, his friends, and their ilk), and their struggles with life, with bills, galleries, woman, each other, their environment, and the art world.  It’s told in a very anecdotal style that gives a window into the lives of these people, paints a beautiful picture (ahem – pun intended) of the places they lived (mostly Montparnasse and Montmartre – you know, where Amelie’s from), and how and why they created the art they created.  It’s full of history and insight, but also  romance, hardship, action, duels, scams, and all those other things we should spend more time reading about that are seldom in non-fic.  At the very least, it's an excellently researched and excellently narrated book.  


Sacrebleu!


I’d recommend it to anyone interested in art, even if these aren’t your favorite painters.  At the very least, you’ll understand better what they were attempting to do and why.  And if you meet a girl with an interest in art, give her your old dog-eared copy.  I hope it works better for you than it did for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment